A contest was recently sponsored by Northern Life, in conjunction with local author and Sudbury Writers’ Guild member Mat Del Papa for young writers. The challenge was to write a short story with a horror theme related to Capreol. The winners were recently announced at the Sudbury Wordstock festival.
Winners will be published in the up coming edition of Creepy Capreol Jr. edited by Mat Del Papa.
Congrats to the winners.
Arvin Khoshboresh – The Boy that Cried Puppy
Elecksa Desjardins – The Stranger
Fiona Symington – The Kind You Never Hear About
Liam Siemann – Mommy’s Here
Ted Leblanc – All I See is Red
Kael Perras – Deadland
Margo Little of the Manitoulin Writers’ Circle has a few events she would like to share with Sudbury and area writers:
Invitation to Open Mic Afternoon on the Waterfront
As part of Gore Bay Harbour Days Sat. July 25, 2015 an open mic featuring water-themed flash fiction, poetry, reflections or memoir will be held at the Gore Bay Harbour Centre. Bring your water-themed material to read from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Hosted by Gore Bay Museum and Manitoulin Writers’ Circle. Below is a list of water imagery prompts to wash over you and inspire you. A book sale will be held at the same time so feel free to add your titles to the table.
Starter ideas for Water-Themed readings
1) This life is like a swimming pool. You dive into the water, but you can’t see how deep it is. –Dennis Rodman
2) Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water. – Christopher Morley
3) A woman is like a tea bag – you can’t tell how strong she is, until you put her in hot water. – Eleanor Roosevelt
4) To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. – Alan Watts
5) Thousands have lived without love, not one without water. –W.H. Auden
6) No water, no life. – Sylvia Earle
7) Water is the driving force of all Nature. – Leonardo Da Vinci
8) Cry, forgive. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness. – Steve Maraboli
9) Don’t be ashamed to weep; ‘tis right to grieve. Tears are only water….. –Brian Jacques
10) Anger is like flowing water; there’s nothing wrong with it as long as you let it flow. – C. Joy Bell
11) She was a drop of free water. She belonged to no man and to no city. – Roman Payne
12) Water does not resist. Water flows. If you cannot go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does. –Margaret Atwood
13) It is life, I think, to watch the water. A man can learn so many things. –Nicholas Sparks
14) I’m so thirsty. –Jarod Kintz
15) You never really know what’s coming. A small wave or maybe a big one. –Alysha Speer
Marion Seabrook Memorial Writing Contest
Short story writers are reminded to submit entries to Marion Seabrook Memorial Writing Contest by July 15. Mail to Box 333, Mindemoya, ON P0P 1S0. Adult and youth prizes. Blind judging. Guidelines at 705-377-4045 or email@example.com or Manitoulin Writers’ Circle 705-282-1714. Sponsored by Central Manitoulin Historical Society with support from Manitoulin Transport. Readings to take place August 20 at Pioneer Museum.
Sudbury’s biennial Wordstock is back for its second year with a new venue and a great line up of panels and workshops to choose from.
The Sudbury Writers’ Guild are proud sponsor of Wordstock and our members will be in attendance reading from their works and attending and presenting on panels. Come out and support the literary community in Sudbury.